While there are many innate temperament traits (nature), we can't discount how a puppy is raised (nurture). 3/4 of the puppy raising job belongs to the breeder and 1/4 of this job belongs to us, the puppy owners. The first 12 weeks of a puppy's life make a lasting impact. It is the critical socialization period that can support a dog toward being a well adjusted and resilient doggy citizen or lead them to be fearful or a bully of a dog.
Because it's a team effort, choosing a responsible breeder is crucial and at least as important as understanding what to do once puppy comes home.
Our guest, Jane Killion, is a breeder of bull terriers and creator of Puppy Culture: an educational film and program on exactly how to raise puppies during their first 12 weeks. In today's episode you will learn:
- Why early socialization is so important.
- What kind of experiences a young puppy need to do well in the world.
- How many positive contacts with a new experience is necessary for a puppy to form a lifetime of positive association.
- What to do if a puppy accidentally has a bad experience so you can change their formed association.
- Why it's important to skip any kind of exposure that you're not confident will go well.
- Why play dates with one other safe dog are better than big play groups.
- Why you should be cautious about big puppy playdates.
- Jane's perspective on the best age for breeders to send puppies home.
- All about "manding" -- the concept of teaching puppies how to politely ask for what they want and why it's important.
- The importance of giving your dog a voice early on.
- And more!
Are you tired of food controlling your life? Can't control yourself around carbs? Feel confused about what, when, or how to eat?
Adina Pearson Nutrition can help you restore peace, joy and confidence to your eating. Adina is a registered dietitian who specializes in eating disorders, emotional eating and breaking free from yo-yo dieting. Adina is able to meet with you on a secure, video platform across the United States. Don't spend another day fighting with food and your body. Reach out today to start your journey toward a healthy life free of food worries. You already go to great lengths to take care of your doodle's health, don't forget to invest in your health and happiness too!
- Puppy Culture Website
- Jane's article on socialization during a pandemic — The reality of coronavirus is that many socialization opportunities are gone for now. Jane's article gives great tips on how to manage socialization while maintaining social distance.
- LIVE broadcast on how to socialize during coronavirus? — Wondering how you can socialize your puppy during the coronavirus pandemic? As a follow up to our article, here is a recording of our live broadcast that talks more about creative solutions to socializing puppies while maintaining social distance. These are trying times, but I also think we're going to learn a lot from this experience that will benefit us now and in the future.
- Jane's journal article on manding
- Jane's article on the Neurological Shaping of Neonates and ENS vs SMS
- Follow Puppy Culture on IG
- Follow Puppy Culture on FB
- Puppy Culture Discussion Group
- New Puppy Owner Starter Pack
- When Pigs Fly dog training book